NUMBERS ARE PEOPLE COCK-UP BEFORE CONSPIRACY • CITE PRIMARY SOURCES OR GO HOME


Tuesday 7 September 2010

I CAN HAZ DOUCHEBAG MOMENT?

I am now in the middle of my vacations and, having landed in London for a few days, have one interesting anecdote to report. It involves being a bit of a douche but do bear with me.

I spent the last six days in Dubai, at literally the most expensive place I could afford without being self-destructive. The place is an iconic hotel, so international and money-driven that it openly (if discreetly) serves pork for breakfast, in broad daylight, during Ramadan.

I can say, hand-on-heart, that the only languages spoken more often than Greek were English and Russian. Inevitably the Greeks in question were there on family trips rather than blingin' young professional getaways. Now, maybe I was just looking out for them - or maybe there's lots of Greeks out there with serious cash to throw around. None of these were celebrities or even remotely recognisable from the world of business or policies.

While you ponder the significance of this, you may want to devote some time to this fantastic article in which Michael Lewis takes on the Greek crisis for Vanity Fair. Many thanks to S.P. and P.S. for bringing this to my attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that I am not notified of any comments and will not respond via comments.

Try to keep your criticism constructive and if you don't like something, do tell me how to fix it. If I use any of your suggestions, you will be duly credited.

Although I'm happy to entertain criticism of myself in the comments section, I will not tolerate hate speech. You will be given a written warning and after that I will delete further offending comments.

I will also delete any comments that are clearly randomly generated by third parties for their own promotion.

Occasionally, your comments may land in the spam box, which may cause them to appear with a slight delay as I have to approve them myself.

Thanks in advance for your kind words... and your trolling, if you are so inclined.